The Writer’s Block

So, You Want to Write A Novel  

RSS

James Weil
(@admin)
Member Admin
25/01/2018 1:02 am  

There is nothing more daunting than an empty page. It's where you begin. I have talked to so many writers who have said they want to write a book, but they don't know how to begin. Someone once said, all the best books were written out of desperation. I can certainly vouch for that. All my books were written out of desperation.

When talking to these writers, I always ask them what their motivation is for writing in the first place. Invariably, they all give different answers, but I always tell them the same thing. Write from the heart. It doesn't matter what genre you are writing for. Tap into your innermost psyche, and breath life into your characters and story.

The story should come from your heart, not from your head. This is true for any kind of writing. Writing from the heart will give your characters a lot more authenticity. I have seen this while working with several writers. Any good writer studies people. They watch how they react to different situations. They are introspective, and can look inside themselves without fear and total honesty, and then translate all that information into the written word.

Hemingway once said, “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”

He also said, “All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”

The point being, writing is a deeply personal experience, and if you can write with honesty and conviction, your story will be much more compelling.

So, when you sit down at your computer, and look at that blank page, think of who your main character is, tap into your innermost psyche, and start writing from the heart.

Love to all!

ReplyQuote
Share: